“Is that a monkey?”– Jack Chapman
Not What I Was Expecting
So that happened. My friends wanted to see Kong: Skull Island, and – having seen the recent Godzilla film, which was to be tied to this in the Monsterverse – I thought, why not?
Had I known what I was getting myself into, I’d have been mentally prepared.
- I imagined Gareth Edwards’ Godzilla, but got Jurassic Park. Still, I enjoyed it.
- The CGI was great and the story interesting enough to keep me engaged. There were some truly shocking moments.
- This was the best PG-13 f-bomb use in recent memory.
- With that in mind, there were some genuinely funny moments to balance the fear.
- Finally, the cast was stellar.
- Why were there children around the age of five in the theater? Honestly, do parents not pay attention to rating and read Parent Guides before deciding if something is appropriate for their kids?
While, it wasn’t at all what I expected, I’m still glad I saw Kong: Skull Island. In the classic tradition of Jurassic Park, it’s a fun ride with a great sense of humor and fright factor.
It definitely has an all star cast, complete with three Marvel alums, so the performances are on point and sell the adventure.
Now we just have to wait and see how Warner Bros. ties in the rest of the creatures hinted at in the after credits scene before we decide if this is a world worth revisiting.
4 / 5
What did you think of Kong: Skull Island? Do you agree with my thoughts? Did you have a different experience? Share what’s on your mind in the comments below and let’s discuss.